Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Sketching and Drawing

I have been drawing not the first time, but I still wanted to learn how to become better at it. For this month I learn how to do sketches and drawings. I had a lot of fun with it, but I still need to learn how to look at an object and draw it from how I see it.

First, I discovered that sketches and drawings have different meanings. Sketches is when you make a draft of what you want to draw and it "is a work in progress" (14) says Mark Willenbrink. For example, you can observe your object by sketching it and getting ready to do a drawing. But drawing, is when you started the drawing and you finish it to the end.

At first, I tried to do structural sketch of a coffee cup. Willenbrink suggested to look at basic shapes such as circles, rectangles, and squares (17). I tried to include all the dimensions of a coffee cup that I can see from my point of view.
Next, I practiced with value sketch of the same object. Through this sketch I learned how to make form through light and shadow without using any lines (19).

Then, by the suggestion of Willenbrink, I tried to make chiaroscuro coffee cup. This was a more easier practice. I had to sketch a black and white coffee cup. This lesson helped me see "a subjects most basic lights and darks" (21).
 
And fourth last sketch that Willenbrink suggested is contour sketch. "This sketch is done by placing the pencil onto the paper and not lifting it until the sketch is finished" (23). This was the most challenging sketch for me, because I had to see all the shadows of a cup and contour them. And at the end it looks like a mess.
I used all of these techniques to make a final drawing of a coffee cup. I had so much fun drawing a simple cup, because I could add more details now, that I couldnt add before. These four techniques helped me observe an object more carefully, looking at all shadows and lines.

What are other techniques of sketching or helpful tips to make a drawing?

Citation: Mark and Mary Willenbrink. Drawing for the Absolute Beginner.

No comments:

Post a Comment